Monday, August 25, 2008

Frazer Island 19.8.08






This time it’s me Ido,
And wow do I have a lot to say. We’re now staying in Hervey Bay. It is surprisingly big.
They have a McDonalds here and the playground is huge. There’s no Burger king,
But there is these two other fast-food places called Hungry Jacks, (which is a bit like Burger king but has sandwiches as well) and another place called Red Rooster. Dad is a bit in a health craze, especially for breakfast. But he’s not that bad, he even said we could have a ‘Junk Food Night’. Two days ago we went to Fraser island to stay the night in a CABIN!!!! But here are the sad bits, just when we’re in a cabin; I have to sleep on the floor on some bed sheets. Just when we sleep in the cabin, we had to wake up at 5 am! But we didn’t, it was too hard, so we woke up at 6:30. Ophir and I were telling dad:
“Isn’t the point of being in a cabin is to sleep in! That night we had pasta. And guess who made most of it…MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…………………!
Dad took pictures. He’ll put it in the blog. Shira would keep complaining about how she helped grind the cheese and pour the olive oil. Mom said the tomato sauce I made was perfecto. Since we decided our campervans name was Carl, we also decided to give a name to our car on Fraser Island. I came up with L.C. It sounds cool and it stands for Land Cruiser. You can’t just use any regular car on Fraser Island. You have to use a land cruiser. Fraser Island was well known for having lots of dingoes. Ophir and I were sure we would see billions. But we only saw, well, none. It was a very stressful morning. But it wasn’t cold at all. We stayed in a cabin in the north part of the island, and we had to drive south. Did I mention there are barely any roads on the island. The only way to get around is on sand and the funest place to drive is on the beach. I have to go fix the beds in Carl now. Bye till now, Mate.


Talia adds:

Indeed Frazer Island was a huge adventure. Ido didn’t elaborate on the adventures we had. It is the first time we were driving under these conditions – sand sand and sand. And it is so wild and unpredictable. U can get stuck if you don’t behave…
We have decided to stay the night in a cabin because it would cost us the same to hire camping gear and we were afraid it would be too cold on the island. Kids were so excited when I told them. “a real bed, mom?”…
We had to leave very early in the morning because the high tides are at their peak around 9:30. However I was a bit in an adventure mood and convinced Amit to keep driving to the southern point even though it started looking bad. The beach became very narrow comparing to the day before (we drove in the afternoon). We managed to do it but I have to admit that I was really scared at some point. There are many creeks on the way and you never know how deep they are. It is not rare that cars are stuck and swept away. Amit could already imagine us all sitting on top of the car, where only the edge is seen and the rest is sank in the sand. We certainly don’t have money to pay for a new Land Cruiser…. Luckily we made it. No more stupid things. In the rest of the day was not spend as we planned because in some spots we were not able to cross and had to drive all the way back. It didn’t leave us time to do all we wanted to. Still, we managed to see some very beautiful lakes and take a short trail.
We returned to Hervey Bay very excited from these 2 days.

Mind you, few of the photos on the "front" of the blog were taken in Frazer Island.

No comments: