Thursday, August 14, 2008

South Mission Beach 11/8/08




Morning. Kids are going to eat eggs and bacon for breakfast. They were begging for it since we arrived to OZ. No wonder because we always eat in the shared kitchen and that what you smell around. Always. Burned bacon in the mornings and burned sausages at nights. My poor kids, so far they were only allowed to eat yogurt or cereals, and not the yummy and sweet ones but the healthy ones because daddy is in a health crazy mood. However last night we agreed that they can have egg and bacon once in a while. Thanks to me of course. Now we have to decide what is the “a while” – a month? or two weeks? a day as they wish???…
Seems like we’re getting used to the idea of the park caravans, sleeping in a car (some of us) and in a tent (the others…), and using only public toilets and showers.

Yesterday we decided to take a break because we realized that we’re chasing something but not sure what. As I indicated in the previous post, we’ve spent most of the time getting organized and driving. We had a rough plan in head but too rough so we decided to stay in this park for 2 nights, take things slowly and basically understand what we’re doing and what and where we really wanna go. We know that we have to get to Sydney by September 5th if we intend to catch the flight to New Zealand. We have to make sure that we don’t find ourselves in Brisbane one night prior to the flight …
So that is what Amit and I did last night after we put kids in bed. I mean in car. Mind you – it was 9pm. No more kids going to sleep after midnight (and after we go to sleep).
We then set at the open kitchen to look at the map and make decisions. First we made decisions in light but soon the light went off (because travelers in camps go to sleep at 9pm and lights should not disturb them…) thus we had to use a torch. And it was so cold to sit at the dark in the open kitchen and discuss these issues. Have I already mentioned the weather here? 2 nights ago I was freezing to death in the tent and at 4am couldn’t bear it anymore, ditched Amit and went to sleep with the kids in the car. The car was parking on a curve therefore when we woke up in the morning we were all sleeping in one third of the bed, and the other 2/3 were empty and high.
The other nights were also cold but not that cold. We gradually get used to the weather. During daytime it is usually sunny and pretty nice. Hardly ever too hot. As soon as the sun disappears it becomes hot. I had a notion in mind that my fleece will protect me from the chill, but it is not. I find myself feeling cold often. Probably because I am just not used to it after 4 years in S’pore where it is considered to be winter whenever it goes below 24 Celsius degree. And it is a rare event…
We all keep in mind that in NZ it is going to be much colder than here. Kids are trying to remain with t-shirts all day even when it is cold, to get used to it. I’m sure they will. I keep wearing my fleece. I am too old to get used to things…
Oh, and yesterday Ophir and I were doing our first laundry. And when I say our first laundry I mean – for Ophir it was definitely the first one, and for me… the first one in OZ, and the first one after 4 years… vehamevin yavin.
I am very excited that by the time we return to Israel I will have a capable daughter who can do all the domestic work required from a female. Blaaaaaaa.
But seriously, kids do learn how to wash dishes here, do laundry, make their beds, etc. I keep thinking that there is an added value to this trip that I haven’t considered before.
Am I trying to compensate myself that if it doesn’t work and we all suffer at least my kids know how to make laundry? Am I using cliché psychological mechanism now? Probably…
I am very happy so far. The only frustrating thing (OK, I mean the main one) is that I haven’t had one minute for myself. And I don’t like that. I have so many books to read and can hardly find time for that. For some reasons I had a notion in mind that we’re going to have lots of free time and that reading will be the thing I will be doing most of the time. And I don’t L. And I will not mention anything anything in regard to home the “home schooling” that we planned. Kid’s school in S’pore is starting today. Ophir & Ido are happy about it as this is the best advantage of this trip - The fact that their friends are in school and they aren’t. I am sure in a short while they will deadly envy their friends.



From Shira’s experiences:
(While Talia was a sleep in the car Amit and kids took a 1½ km trail that gets to beautiful waterfall. On the way back they encountered a scary black snake)“2 days ago I saw the snake an then I jumped backwards and my shoe went really close to the snake and it was a black one. And I was really scared so me and daddy we tried to figure out a way to pass and Ido and Ophir passed it. Daddy carried me and we timed ourselves and how long we can get to the car. And we didn’t count that part because it wasn’t fair that the snake stayed still. So we waited and waited and waited and waited until the snake went but the snake didn’t go! So we just went next to it. And then we harried up and Ophir was really fast”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope this youw'll be able to read
thank you for informing us we enjoy it very much.
I translate all of it to zipi and noa and inbar they are making a KITANA in Afula to day is the last day,they are going back to ZICHROn after a week in afula.on last saterday we spsnt a wonderful after noon in a spring spot in alona velly, i,ll tray to send you a photo. we envy you for what you are doing, but still we longing for your coming back.keep in tuch very soon. now i'm going to tray sending this ido'nt know how.

Anonymous said...

heeey !
I see your having fun !
Say hi to Ophir for me. (:
Goodluck.